Panch karma is the classic 5-point revitalisation treatment that's gaining worldwide fame these days Although Panchakarma is often thought of as the entire procedure, it really is one part of a group of therapies belonging to a class of cleansing procedures called 'shodhana' Panchkarma process is more intensive, following closely the early texts of Ayurveda like the Charaka Samhita and the Sushruta Samhita.
Poorvakarma - Pre Purification Measures
Before the actual processes of purification begins, there is a need to prepare the body in prescribed methods and encourage the body to let go of the toxins.
The two procedures are 'Snehan' and 'Swedan'.
1) Snehan means oleating the body, helping the toxins to move towards the gastrointestinal tract. It also makes the superficial and deep tissues soft and supple, thus helping to remove stress and to nourish the nervous system.
2) Swedan means 'sudation' or sweating, which is followed by snehan..This procedure liquefies the toxins and increases the movement of toxins in to the gastrointestinal tract. After this Snehan and swedan,doshas become well 'ripened'. A particular panchakarma is then given according to the individual's constitution and disorder.
Pradhana karma - Main Procedure
There are five basic Shodhanas, or cleansing methods.
1) Vamanam -Therapeutic vomiting
2)Virechanam - Purgation.
3) Basti- Enema.
4) Nasyam -Elimination of toxins through the nose
5) Rakthamoksham Detoxification of the blood.
Paschat karma - Post Purification Measures.
It is important to follow a diet – Samsarjan karma and lifestyle that is harmonious with one's constitution. If not patients could worsen their condition by suppressing the renewed healing energies. The toxins may then directly enter cleansed tissues and go deeper than before.
Some things to avoid are loud talking, bumpy rides, long walks, excessive sitting and excessive eating, if experiencing indigestion. Avoid eating unwholesome food, daytime sleep and sexual indulgence in excess. Take 'Rasayanas' to rebuild the damaged tissues and to give a new level of strength and energy. Herbs and foods can be used specifically to rebuild tissue layers and herbs also have a direct rejuvenative effect on the various organs and tissue layers.